Insurance Licensing Education Options

In general, insurance licences are required for three categories of insurance roles: general insurance agents and brokers, independent adjusters and life insurance agents and brokers. The Insurance Institutes, at both the national and local level, work closely with provincial and territorial regulators to align our education options to help you obtain your licence regardless of where you live and what career path you follow. These provincial variations can make understanding licensing somewhat complicated. We want to help you navigate this complexity with information and resources about this important requirement of many insurance careers. In addition to our information, you will benefit from visiting the website of the provincial insurance regulator where you live.

Your employer should also be able to provide you information about licensing requirements. You should also be aware that if you provide insurance services in a licensed role to customers in a province other than where you work, your employer will need to ensure that you are licensed for the province where you are serving customers.