Insurance Licensing in Ontario

Malheureusement, ce contenu n’est actuellement pas offert en français. Veuillez communiquer avec le Service aux membres, au 1 866 362-8585 ou avec l’institut/la section de votre région afin d’obtenir de l’aide.


The Insurance Institute provides training and study resources to prepare you to take the exams for the insurance agent and insurance broker licensing exams in Ontario. We also provide the education needed to get your independent adjuster license in Ontario.

As a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry - whether they be brokers or agents - are well-prepared.

New to the industry? 

There are two regulatory bodies that oversee insurance licensing in the province of Ontario.

• Insurance Agents and Independent Adjusters: Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FSRA)
• Insurance Brokers: Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO)
Learn about careers in the insurance industry.

Insurance Agent Licence - Other Than Life (OTL)

Insurance agents represent one insurer and also assist in arranging contracts between applicants and insurers. The insurers they usually represent are known as direct writers. Learn more and register.

Insurance Broker Licence - RIBO

Insurance brokers are an individual or firm that acts as an intermediary and assists in arranging contracts between insurers and clients. Learn more and register.

Independent Adjuster Licenses

Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims arising out of losses such as from fires, car accidents and burglaries. They determine the amount of damage or loss covered by the insurance policy. Learn more and register.

To learn more about insurance licensing in Ontario, including broker licensing or agent licensing, you can contact your local chapter of the Insurance Institute of Ontario, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FSRA) or Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO).