Licensing in Ontario - Agent & Broker

Malheureusement, ce contenu n’est actuellement pas offert en français. Veuillez communiquer avec le Service aux membres, au 1 866 362-8585 ou avec l’institut/la section de votre région afin d’obtenir de l’aide.

The Insurance Institute provides study resources to prepare you to take the exams for insurance agent (Other Than Life - OTL) and broker (RIBO) licensing in Ontario. We also provide the education needed to get your independent adjuster license in Ontario.

As a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.

How do we help you get ready for licensing?

First, watch our short video to find out how we help you prepare for your OTL exam or RIBO exam.

New to the industry? 

There are two regulatory bodies that oversee insurance licensing in the province of Ontario.

• OTL: Insurance Agents and Independent Adjusters: Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FSRA)
• RIBO: Insurance Brokers: Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO)
Learn about careers in the insurance industry.

OTL: Insurance Agent - Other Than Life Licence

Insurance agents represent one insurer and also assist in arranging contracts between applicants and insurers. The insurers they usually represent are known as direct writers. Before you can become a licensed insurance agent, you must pass your OTL exam. We can help you with OTL training to prepare you - including our new online exam preparation course.

Go to OTL licensing

OTL Exam Information

RIBO: Insurance Broker Licences

Insurance brokers are an individual or firm that acts as an intermediary and assists in arranging contracts between insurers and clients. Before you can become a licensed insurance broker, you need to pass your RIBO exam. We can help you with RIBO training to prepare you - including our new online exam preparation course.

Go to RIBO licensing

RIBO Exam Information

Independent Adjuster Licenses

Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims arising out of losses such as from fires, car accidents and burglaries. They determine the amount of damage or loss covered by the insurance policy. Learn more and register.

To learn more about insurance licensing in Ontario, you can contact your local chapter of the Insurance Institute of Ontario, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority (FSRA) or Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO).