Orientation for New Students
Welcome to the Insurance Institute! As the p&c industry's premier source for professional development, we’re proud to be able to provide you leading-edge industry knowledge and unparalleled networking opportunities. We’re here to support your professional journey by making a range of programs and events available to you.
Lifelong Learning Opportunities
Take advantage of our certificate and designation programs that will grow with you to advance your career at a pace that fits. Consider the following programs:
• CIP – The benchmark for insurance professionalism, the 10-course CIP designation program integrates both practical and theoretical knowledge. See the CIP program.
• FCIP – The pinnacle of excellence in insurance education, the FCIP is a rigorous, six-course leadership development program that is specifically tailored to the p&c industry. Learn more about the FCIP program.
• GIE – This two-course certificate program introduces students to the essentials of the p&c industry, serving as the perfect platform for industry newcomers or entry-level insurance professionals. Go to the GIE program.
• Risk Management Certificate – A three-course program that offers students the opportunity to deepen their understanding of risk in the context of insurance. Learn more about the Risk Management program.
• Advanced CIP - This four-course program blends CIP course materials with new topics and techniques and is designed to enhance core business competencies. Go to the Advanced CIP program.
We're here to support your development. Take advantage of the many activities and resources we offer and start boosting your career today.
• Events & Seminars – Choose from our many networking events and informative seminars; check to see what’s on at your local institute or chapter.
• Career Connections – Explore our Career Connections program, which gives you the opportunity to learn about careers in the insurance industry, search for new insurance employment opportunities, and find out about becoming an ambassador.
• CIP & Your Career – Are you enrolled in the CIP program? See how the designation supports your career ambitions.
• Insights and Research – Stay on top of the latest industry insights and research.
• Newsletter – Keep up-to-date on insurance industry happenings with our various newsletters, including IQ: Institute Quarterly and local updates from our individual institutes and chapters around Canada.
• Become a volunteer - Find out how you can join the 1,500+ volunteers who play an integral part in the success of the Insurance Institute.
Get to Know Us
As a student of the Insurance Institute, you can enjoy many benefits. It is also important that you understand your obligations. Here are a few key points you need to know.
• Exam Rules & Regulations – Before writing an exam, make sure you’re aware of our rules, regulations and policies.
• Tax Credits – Many of the programs you take at the Institute are eligible for tax receipts which you can use to claim on your taxes, if you’re eligible.
• Scholarships & Prizes – Look into our many opportunities for financial assistance.
• Code of Ethics - The Insurance Institute’s Code of Ethics is applicable to all graduates of the Institute’s designation programs, including all members eligible for election.
• CIP Society – Once you attain your CIP designation, you become a member of the CIP Society, the professional association representing graduates of the Institute's CIP and FCIP programs. As a member of the CIP Society, you can take advantage of continuing professional development opportunities, information services and networking events, and enjoy recognition and promotion of your designations.
Do you have questions that we haven’t answered here? Get in touch with your local institute or chapter.