Insurance Licensing in Canada

computer screen icon with a graduate hat in it

Insurance Institute

Your trusted source of insurance licensing education

Our goal is to ensure that new entrants to Canada's property & casualty industry are well-prepared. That's why we work closely with provincial and territorial regulators to provide you the education options you need to obtain your insurance licence - regardless of where you live and what career path you follow.


How do we help new entrants to the industry get ready for licensing?

Watch our short video to find out.

How insurance licensing works in Canada

Insurance is regulated at both the federal and provincial level in this country; the federal level is focused on ensuring the financial stability of insurance companies, and the provincial level deals with the licensing of individuals.

Provincial licensing:
Each province and territory has its own insurance regulator, which can make understanding licensing somewhat complicated. These regulators determine which insurance roles require a licence, and what the individual needs to do to earn that licence. 
Requirements for individuals typically include a course or a program of study followed by one or more examinations. The examinations may be offered by an education organization and/or the regulator depending on the local regulations.

In general, insurance licences are required for three categories of insurance roles: 

1. General insurance agents and brokers

Brokers and agents serve the needs of their customers, both individual and commercial, helping to protect them from loss due to accidents, fires, theft and many other perils. In all provinces and territories in Canada, individuals working in these roles must become licensed. Depending on the province in which you live or are doing business, there are different levels of licensing depending on the broker or agent’s seniority and amount of responsibility they have for client service and management. Our Career Connections division provides more information about these roles. 

2. Independent adjusters

Adjusters investigate insurance claims arising out of losses such as from fires, car accidents and burglaries. They determine the amount of damage or loss covered by the insurance policy. Adjusters make recommendations regarding payment of benefits based on the coverage noted on the insurance policy, and negotiate payment and settlement. Loss adjusters also ensure that those who have suffered a loss receive all of the benefits and assistance to which they are entitled. In all provinces and territories in Canada, individuals working as independent adjusters must become licensed. Depending on the province in which you live or are doing business, there are several levels of licensing as determined by the adjuster’s seniority and the amount of responsibility they have. Our Career Connections division provides more information on this role

3. Life insurance agents and brokers

If you wish to obtain a license to sell life insurance products, you need to take the Life Insurance Qualification Program (LLQP). The Insurance Institute doesn't offer educational options for this licence, but you can find a local course provider on your provincial regulator’s website.

Getting started with licensing

If you are already employed in the insurance industry, your employer should also be able to provide you information about licensing requirements. You should also be aware that your employer will need to ensure that you are licensed for the province(s) where you are serving customers - not just the province in which you work or reside.

For a quick reference guide for the requirements to get your broker or adjuster license in each province, we have put together these pages:
Broker licensing provincial guide
Adjuster licensing provincial guide

For more detailed provincial information, please click the province for which you wish to obtain your licence:
British Columbia
New Brunswick
Newfoundland & Labrador
Nova Scotia

We want to help you navigate the complexities of provincial licensing with information and resources about this important requirement of many insurance careers. In addition to our information, you will benefit from visiting the website of the provincial insurance regulator where you live.

CE Hours

Most provinces require you to obtain a number of Continuing Education (CE) hours to maintain your licence each year. The Insurance Institute offers many ways for you to learn about highly relevant topics while getting the CE hours that you need - including local seminars, courses from our designation and certificate programs, and CEOnDemand - a new suite of online CE courses. Learn more.

CIP Licensing Equivalency courses 

British Columbia* | Manitoba | Ontario
Saskatchewan | New Brunswick | Newfoundland & Labrador
Nova Scotia | Northern Alberta | Southern Alberta

Careers in Insurance

Whether you are looking to get started with a career in insurance, or already working in the industry, you’re in the right place. The industry, which has a wonderful and inclusive story to tell, offers variety, flexibility, above average advancement and a real sense of community - and the Insurance Institute is here to help you along the way.
See our career resources.