Insurance Licensing in Newfoundland & Labrador
Give yourself the best chance of success in your licensing exam.
The Insurance Institute is a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, and we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
Level 1 Licensing Examination Update
The Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador is now offering level 1 licensing examinations in an online format with virtual proctors. The main priority of the Institute is the health and safety of our students and members, therefore we cannot accommodate in-person proctoring at this time.
Virtual proctoring involves the installation of software on a candidate’s laptop/computer and use of a webcam, among other requirements. The virtual proctor closely monitors candidate activity during the exam.
Online licensing exams are subject to an additional fee, per candidate, per attempt.
Virtual proctoring has certain technical requirements [PDF Download].
Students must have a computer with access to the internet and a webcam.
Please review the system requirements to assess if your computer meets the specifications.
Online exam availability is limited, and time-slots are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you are unsuccessful with your exam and need to rewrite, it may take longer than usual to secure a timeslot for a reattempt.
Please do not submit requests for specific dates/times, as the schedule of availability is only accessible by registered candidates.
Scheduling an Exam:
To register your online licensing exam, please follow these steps:
1. Review the technical requirements to determine whether your computer is able to meet the system specifications.
2. Email Leona Fleming for booking support.
Visit the Virtually Proctored Computer-based Examinations page for further information on how the process works.
General Insurance Essentials
Great news! We've updated our GIE Level 1 licensing study materials.
As of August 1, 2018, students study from completely updated and enhanced licensing materials. Respected industry experts and adult learning specialists played key roles in this update. Students benefit from the latest, most relevant content that reflects important changes to the insurance industry.
This home study route is the best to take if you:
• Are looking to complete the level 1 broker or adjuster licensing program in the least amount of time
• Prefer to study at home, at your own pace - students have up to 6 months to complete the program
• Would like a flexible exam date
The option is offered locally – on demand virtually through the Insurance Institute of NL. Please contact the local office for details.
• Home Study Kit, $851.00 which includes, tuition, two textbooks, supplements, membership, exam, shipping fee and all applicable taxes
• Exam Rewrite Fee - $230.00 (HST incl) *Please note all fees subject to change
• Please note that fees are subject to change
Please complete this form and return it to our office. Home-study students have up to six months from the date of purchase to complete their study and write the exam.
To schedule your Level 1 licensing exam or rewrite, click here, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our licensing exams are based on the 2018 edition of the General Insurance Essentials C81 & C82 textbooks.
The level 1 licensing exam is paper-based, two hours in duration, consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, and a grade of 75% or better is required to pass.The exam is comprised of the following categories and sub-categories:
Industry Knowledge 39% of exam
• Career Proficiencies
• Ethics and Professionalism
• Insurance and Risk Concepts
• Insurance Contract
• Risk Management
Automobile Insurance 26% of exam
• Policy coverages, conditions, and exclusions
• Automobile Insurance Application
• Insurance and Risk Concepts
Habitational Insurance 25% of exam
• Fire Statutory Conditions
• Insurance and Risk Concepts
• Policy Coverage
Commercial Property and Liability Insurance 4% of exam
• Commercial Liability
• Commercial Property
Claims 6% of exam
For exams written at our office, results will available within 1 business day.
Home-study students have up to six months from the date of purchase to complete their course and write the exam. Students wishing to write the exam beyond their six month course deadline may be subject to a $150 exam fee.
How do we help you get ready for Level 1 licensing?
We provide everything you need to get your Newfoundland & Labrador Adjuster and Property and Casualty Insurance Representative Level 1 Licence - including the study materials, course and the exam.
Watch our short video to find out.
Top reasons to choose our licensing course materials and exam:
• Tailored content. The content for this course has been specially selected to meet the direct knowledge requirements for general insurance level one agents and brokers in Newfoundland & Labrador.
• Practical knowledge. You will be able to use the knowledge from our course to be highly successful in a brokerage/agency setting, which will enable you to build a solid foundation for a great career.
• Online tutorial. Every part of this licensing course is designed to prepare you for success on your licensing exam.
• Flexible formats. We know you’re busy, so we are pleased to offer our licensing course in two different learning formats to suit your needs.
• Brand-new, relevant exam. The study materials you receive are closely aligned to our accompanying exam, which you'll also take through the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador as part of this course.
• Membership is included. The cost of our course includes membership with the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador., your trusted local resource for insurance education and professional development.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed the licensing exam and received your provincial licence, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
ABOUT OUR LEVEL 1 LICENSING COURSE
The cost is competitive, and includes:
1. The materials designed to help you pass our exam:
• Course texts (General Insurance Essentials: Part 1 (2018 edition), General Insurance Essentials: Part 2 (2018 edition) and the Atlantic Canada Automobile Insurance Licensing Supplement).
• Model policy wordings (The Comprehensive Homeowner, Tenant, Condominium Unit Owner Package Policy and Newfoundland Standard Automobile Policy S.P.F. No. 1).
• Online tutorial, a discussion forum, resource links, and a glossary of key terms.
2. The exam itself, which you will sit through the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador
Please note that should you need to re-write your exam, there will be an additional fee charged.
3. Membership with the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador for the remainder of the current membership year.
Membership provides you with access to our designations that are recognized by insurance industry employers, as well as local professional development and networking opportunities. You'll also receive regular emails with industry job listings. As a member, you are making an investment in your career and the p&c insurance profession. Learn more about the benefits of membership.
What are the learning formats offered for this course?
• Self-study kit (always available) – if you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for our licensing exam. You'll be given one year to complete your exam, and can do so at any time during that year.
Purchase the kit now [PDF]
• Fast-track weekend warrior course (on demand) – if you prefer to learn in a traditional classroom environment, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are incorporated into a live, in-class environment for those who want to meet their peers, network and learn. Please note this program is offered on demand, and will only go ahead if there is sufficient enrolment. If there is a class coming up, it will be listed either on this page or on our home page.
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the insurance industry and the regulation of insurance, including the role and benefit of insurance to society and the roles of brokers, insurers, reinsurers, underwriters, adjusters, regulators, and industry associations.
• Distinguish insurance needs for a broad spectrum of personal and commercial customers and choose the most appropriate property, liability, and automobile insurance products, coverages, and policy structure, including applicable endorsements, to meet clients’ insurance needs.
Who should take this course?
This course is right for you if you are new to the insurance industry. There are no prerequisites to register in the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador's General Insurance Level One licensing course.
Credit towards the CIP program
• Once you've passed your licensing exam and received your provincial licence, you will be eligible for credit towards our highly-regarded Chartered Insurance Professional designation program. You'll get credit for C11: Principles and Practice of Insurance, the first course in the program - meaning you'll be one course closer to becoming a CIP. Learn more about this transfer credit.
STEPS TO BECOME A GENERAL AGENT IN NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR
1. Study and ensure you know the course material - whether you decide to purchase the self-study kit or attend an in-class course. If you purchase the self-study kit, please be aware that it is a self-directed course that requires you to learn at your own pace using the provided study materials and online resources. A tutor is available on the online tutorial to answer questions and/or concerns about course material. If you prefer extra learning support, please check with us for information about in-class course offerings.
2. Register for your exam by contacting the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador.
3. Once you've passed our licensing exam, submit the letter confirming your passing grade, together with your completed licence application to the Superintendent of Insurance Office, Government of Newfoundland for approval.
4. Congratulations on becoming a General Level One Agent/Broker in Newfoundland & Labrador! If your goal is to maximize your potential in both your education and career, the Insurance Institute of Newfoundland & Labrador is here to assist you. Learn more.
Purchase the kit now [PDF]