College Partner Level 1 Licensing
General Insurance Essentials
Best route to take if you:
• Prefer to study in a classroom setting
• Are new to the industry and would benefit from the knowledge of an instructor
The following colleges offer the Level 1 Licensing course in conjunction with the Insurance Institute of BC. Fees vary by college, and students must register directly with the college of their choice. Please visit individual websites for exact dates, times, and fees, as the information listed below is intended only as a guide.
All college partner courses utilize the 2020 GIE C81 and C82 textbook edition, which is exclusively available from the respective college's bookstore.
*Exams for these courses are virtually-proctored. The current virtually-proctored exam fee is $52.50, and is payable at time of exam registration.
Douglas College - New Westminster | Phone: 604-527-5472
Douglas college conducts their licensing course as socially-distanced, in-person classes, with a back-up virtual platform to convert to online classes should the need for it arise. For more information, please contact the college directly.
• Location: New Westminster Campus
• Dates: January 29 - March 12, 2022 (no class Feb. 19)
• 6 Saturdays, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. | exam virtually-proctored*
• Cost: $648 plus textbooks and virtually proctored exam fee
• Usually offered in the Fall, Winter, and Spring semesters
Langara College - Vancouver | Phone: 604-323-5981
Langara college conducts their licensing course asynchronously, online via Brightspace. Students will have access to the entire course on the start date, but learners are not required to log in during any specific date or time during the course. The instructor will be available on the platform and via email to support students. For further information, please contact the college directly.
• Location: Pre-recorded Virtual Classes
• Dates: February 1 - April 19, 2022
• 12 Tuesday evenings, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m. | exam virtually-proctored*
• Cost: $656 plus textbooks and virtually proctored exam fee
• Usually offered in the fall, winter, and spring semesters
Camosun College - Victoria | Phone: 250-370-3550
• Location: Interurban Campus
• Dates: TBD
• 13 Tuesday evenings, 6 - 9 p.m. | exam virtually-proctored*
• Cost: $659 plus textbooks and virtually proctored exam fee
• Only offered in the fall semester
Vancouver Island University - Nanaimo | Phone: 250-740-6400
• Location: Nanaimo and Duncan Campus (in-person & video hybrid)
• Dates: TBD
• 12 Wednesday evenings, 6 - 8:30 p.m. | exam virtually-proctored*
• Delivery: In-person and video-conferencing | Instructor will alternate weeks between classrooms. Classes not in-person that week will attend via video link.
• Cost: $910 plus textbooks and virtually proctored exam fee
For more information on virtually proctored online licensing exams, please visit the licensing page. NOTE: There is an additional fee per candidate, per attempt to take the licensing exam online with a virtual proctor.
The licensing exam is two (2) hours in duration, consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, and a minimum of 70% is required to pass. Exam result notifications are delivered via email approximately 24 to 48 hours after a virtually-proctored exam. Completion letters are sent after we receive the exam breach of conduct report verifying there were no breach or exam violation incidents.