General Level 1 (Broker/Agent) Licensing Preparation
Give yourself the best chance of success.
We provide everything you need to get your Saskatchewan General Insurance Level One Licence - including the study materials, course and the exam.
Top reasons to choose our licensing course materials and exam:
• Tailored content. The content for this course has been specially selected to meet the direct knowledge requirements for general insurance level one agents and brokers in Saskatchewan.
• Practical knowledge. You will be able to use the knowledge from our course to be highly successful in a brokerage/agency setting, which will enable you to build a solid foundation for a great career.
• Flexible formats. We know you’re busy, so we are pleased to offer our licensing course in two different learning formats to suit your needs (self-study and virtual class).
• Brand-new, relevant exam. The study materials you receive are closely aligned to our accompanying exam, which you'll also take through the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan as part of this course.
• Membership is included. The cost of our course includes membership with the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan, your trusted local resource for insurance education and professional development.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
Ready to get started?
IMPORTANT: We've updated our Level 1 licensing study materials.
As of August 1, 2018, you're studying from completely updated and enhanced licensing materials. Respected industry experts and adult learning specialists played key roles in this update. You’ll benefit from the latest, most relevant content that reflects important changes to the insurance industry.
EXAMS: For your best chance of success, please ensure you register for the exam that corresponds with your study materials.
We'll be providing exams for both original and new study kits for an overlap period.
You'll be prompted when you register.
ABOUT OUR LICENSING COURSE
The cost is competitive, and includes:
1. The materials designed to help you pass our exam:
• Course texts (General Insurance Essentials: Part 1 (2018), General Insurance Essentials: Part 2 (2018) and the Restricted Agent Automobile Insurance Licensing Supplement).
• General By-Laws
2. The exams themselves, which you will sit through the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan.
To get your Level 1 Licence, you'll need to sit two exams: (1) your licensing exam, and (2) General By-Laws exam (40 questions), if you haven't already taken it.
Please note that should you need to re-write your exam, there will be an additional fee charged.
3. Membership with the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan for the remainder of the current membership year.
Membership provides you with access to our designations that are recognized by insurance industry employers, as well as local professional development and networking opportunities. You'll also receive regular emails with industry job listings. As a member, you are making an investment in your career and the p&c insurance profession. Learn more about the benefits of membership.
What are the learning formats offered for this course?
• Self-study kit – if you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for our licensing exam.
Purchase our self-study kit
• Virtual class – If you prefer a structured, live classroom environment but need to be able to do it from the location of your choice, this format is for you. Virtual classes are taught live by an experienced licensing instructor. They include instruction with PowerPoint presentations, interactive learning activities, discussions on emerging trends within the insurance industry, online quizzes and assignments, and a course review session. Check our schedule of upcoming classes.
See the schedule of virtual classes
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the insurance industry and the regulation of insurance, including the role and benefit of insurance to society and the roles of brokers, insurers, reinsurers, underwriters, adjusters, regulators, and industry associations.
• Distinguish insurance needs for a broad spectrum of personal and commercial customers and choose the most appropriate property, liability, and automobile insurance products, coverages, and policy structure, including applicable endorsements, to meet clients’ insurance needs.
Who should take this course?
Anyone who wants to further their career in the insurance industry. Please note, in order to take this course, you need to have completed your Restricted Agent Licence first.
Credit towards the CIP program
• Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards our highly-regarded Chartered Insurance Professional designation program. You'll get credit for C11: Principles and Practice of Insurance, the first course in the program - meaning you'll be one course closer to becoming a CIP. Learn more about this transfer credit.
STEPS TO BECOME A GENERAL AGENT IN SASKATCHEWAN
1. Study and ensure you know the course material - whether you decide to purchase the self-study kit or attend a virtual course. If you purchase the self-study kit, please be aware that it is a self-directed course that requires you to learn at your own pace using the provided study materials and online resources. If you prefer extra learning support, please check out the schedule of upcoming virtual classes.
2. Register for your licensing exam and general by-law exam (if applicable) by contacting the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan. For your convenience, we are able to schedule both exams together for you - please let us know your preference.
3. Once you've passed our licensing exam, submit the letter confirming your passing grade, together with your completed licence application to the General Insurance Council of Saskatchewan for approval.
4. Congratulations on becoming a General Level One Agent/Broker in Saskatchewan! If your goal is to maximize your potential in both your education and career, the Insurance Institute of Saskatchewan is here to assist you. Learn more.