Ontario: Insurance Broker Licences

Insurance brokers are independent insurance professionals, and in Ontario are governed by the Registered Insurance Brokers Act and licensed though the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO). Brokers sell all types of p&c coverages including home, business, and automobile insurance. They offer product choice from a variety of companies and offer independent advice, always representing their clients' best interests. 

• All brokers who are licensed in Ontario must follow a code of conduct.
• Every registered insurance broker must meet certain qualification standards and continuing education requirements, established by RIBO.
• Every registered insurance broker must be bonded and covered byan Errors & Omissions insurance policy.

For more information about Insurance Broker licensing please contact the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO).

The Insurance Institute sells the materials needed to study and successfully pass the exams required to be licensed as an Insurance broker. Please select the level below for more information:
RIBO - Level 1 - Entry Level

RIBO - Level 2 - Technical

RIBO - Level 3 - Management

Moving from another Province or Territory?
Learn about equivalency exams.