Insurance Licensing in Nova Scotia
Give yourself the best chance of success in your licensing exam.
The Insurance Institute is a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, and we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
We provide everything you need to get your Nova Scotia General Insurance Level One Licence - including the study materials, course and the exam.
How do we help you get ready for licensing?
Watch our short video to find out.
Top reasons to choose our licensing course materials and exam:
• Tailored content. The content for this course has been specially selected to meet the direct knowledge requirements for general insurance level one agents and brokers in Nova Scotia.
• Practical knowledge. You will be able to use the knowledge from our course to be highly successful in a brokerage/agency setting, which will enable you to build a solid foundation for a great career.
• Online tutorial with practice multiple choice questions. Every part of this licensing course is designed to prepare you for success on your licensing exam.
• Flexible formats. We know you’re busy, so we are pleased to offer our licensing course in two different learning formats to suit your needs.
• Brand-new, relevant exam. The study materials you receive are closely aligned to our accompanying exam, which you'll also take through the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia as part of this course.
• Membership is included. The cost of our course includes membership with the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia, your trusted local resource for insurance education and professional development.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
Ready to get started?
IMPORTANT: We've updated our Level 1 licensing study materials.
As of August 1, 2018, you're studying from completely updated and enhanced licensing materials. Respected industry experts and adult learning specialists played key roles in this update. You’ll benefit from the latest, most relevant content that reflects important changes to the insurance industry.
EXAMS: For your best chance of success, please ensure you register for the exam that corresponds with your study materials.
We'll be providing exams for both original and new study kits for an overlap period. You'll be prompted when you register.
ABOUT OUR LICENSING COURSE
The cost is competitive, and includes:
1. The materials designed to help you pass our exam:
• Course texts (General Insurance Essentials: Part 1 (2018 edition), General Insurance Essentials: Part 2 (2018 edition) and the Atlantic Canada Automobile Insurance Licensing Supplement).
• Model policy wordings (The Comprehensive Homeowner, Tenant, Condominium Unit Owner Package Policy and Nova Scotia Standard Automobile Policy S.P.F. No. 1).
• Online tutorial that's based on your study materials with practice multiple choice questions and a glossary of the many insurance terms you need to know.
For more information, download our Nova Scotia General Level One Licensing Course Outline.
2. The exam itself, which you will sit through the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia.
Please note that should you need to re-write your exam, there will be an additional fee charged.
3. Membership with the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia for the remainder of the current membership year.
Membership provides you with access to our designations that are recognized by insurance industry employers, as well as local professional development and networking opportunities. You'll also receive regular emails with industry job listings. As a member, you are making an investment in your career and the p&c insurance profession. Learn more about the benefits of membership.
What are the learning formats offered for this course?
• Self-study kit – if you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for our licensing exam. Purchase our self-study kit.
• Fast Track courses – if you have staff you'd like to take a Fast Track course, or you're an individual who would like to sign up for one, contact our office to find out when the next class is scheduled.
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the insurance industry and the regulation of insurance, including the role and benefit of insurance to society and the roles of brokers, insurers, reinsurers, underwriters, adjusters, regulators, and industry associations.
• Distinguish insurance needs for a broad spectrum of personal and commercial customers and choose the most appropriate property, liability, and automobile insurance products, coverages, and policy structure, including applicable endorsements, to meet clients’ insurance needs.
Who should take this course?
This course is right for you if you are new to the insurance industry. There are no prerequisites to register in the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia's General Insurance Level One licensing course.
Credit towards the CIP program
• Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards our highly-regarded Chartered Insurance Professional designation program. You'll get credit for C11: Principles and Practice of Insurance, the first course in the program - meaning you'll be one course closer to becoming a CIP. Learn more about this transfer credit.
STEPS TO BECOME A GENERAL AGENT IN NOVA SCOTIA
1. Study and ensure you know the course material - whether you decide to purchase the self-study kit or attend an in-class course. If you purchase the self-study kit, please be aware that it is a self-directed course that requires you to learn at your own pace using the provided study materials and online resources. A tutor is available on the online tutorial to answer questions and/or concerns about course material. If you prefer extra learning support, please check with us for information about in-class course offerings.
2. Complete the practice exam on the online tutorial - the exam consists of 50 questions randomly selected from a bank of 100 questions, so you will find value in taking the exam more than once. If you successfully complete it and are confident in your mastery of the course material you are likely ready to write the general level one licensing exam.
3. Register for your exam by contacting the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia.
4. Once you've passed our licensing exam, submit the letter confirming your passing grade, together with your completed licence application to the Nova Scotia Office of the Superintendent of Insurance for approval. *Note: Your exam result is good for three months. If you do not apply for your license within that time, it will be necessary to write the exam again.
5. Congratulations on becoming a General Level One Agent/Broker in Nova Scotia! If your goal is to maximize your potential in both your education and career, the Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia is here to assist you. Learn more.