Insurance Licensing in New Brunswick
Give yourself the best chance of success in your licensing exam.
The Insurance Institute is a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, and we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
We provide everything you need to get your New Brunswick Agents and Broker's Licence - Level One - including the study materials, course and the exam.
How do we help you get ready for licensing?
Watch our short video to find out.
Top reasons to choose our licensing course materials and exam:
• Tailored, updated content for agents and brokers in New Brunswick.
• Practical knowledge.
• Online tutorial with multiple choice practice questions.
• Flexible format options.
• Brand-new exam that directly aligns with our study materials.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
Ready to get started?
ABOUT OUR LICENSING COURSE
The cost is competitive, and includes:
1. The materials designed to help you pass our exam:
• Course texts General Insurance Essentials: Part 1 (2018 edition), General Insurance Essentials: Part 2 (2018 edition) and the Atlantic Canada Automobile Insurance Licensing Supplement).
• Model policy wordings (The Comprehensive Homeowner, Tenant, Condominium Unit Owner Package Policy and New Brunswick Standard Owner's Automobile Policy N.B.P.F. No. 1).
• Online tutorial is based on your study materials and includes a glossary of many insurance terms you need to know and practice multiple choice questions.
2. The exam itself, which you will sit through the Insurance Institute of New Brunswick.
Please note that should you need to re-write your exam, there will be an additional fee charged.
Please note: membership of the Insurance Institute of New Brunswick is required to purchase licensing education products. If you're not already a member, the membership will be added to your shopping cart.
What are the learning formats offered for this course?
• Self-study kit - available now – if you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for our licensing exam. Purchase our self-study kit.
• Fast Track courses – available on request - if you have staff you'd like to take a Fast Track course, or you're an individual who would like to sign up for one, contact our office to register your interest.
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the insurance industry and the regulation of insurance, including the role and benefit of insurance to society and the roles of brokers, insurers, reinsurers, underwriters, adjusters, regulators, and industry associations.
• Distinguish insurance needs for a broad spectrum of personal and commercial customers and choose the most appropriate property, liability, and automobile insurance products, coverages, and policy structure, including applicable endorsements, to meet clients’ insurance needs.
Who should take this course?
This course is a great first step for those new to the industry or wanting to get into it. There are no prerequisites to register in this course.
Credit towards the CIP program
• Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards our highly-regarded Chartered Insurance Professional designation program. You'll get credit for C11: Principles and Practice of Insurance, the first course in the program - meaning you'll be one course closer to becoming a CIP. Learn more about this transfer credit.
STEPS TO BECOME A GENERAL AGENT IN NEW BRUNSWICK
1. Study and ensure you know the course material - whether you decide to purchase the self-study kit or attend an in-class course. If you purchase the self-study kit, please be aware that it is a self-directed course that requires you to learn at your own pace using the provided study materials and online resources. A tutor is available on the online tutorial to answer questions and/or concerns about course material. If you prefer extra learning support, please check with us for information about in-class course offerings and to register your interest.
2. Complete the practice exam on the online tutorial - the exam consists of 50 questions randomly selected from a bank of 100 questions, so you will find value in taking the exam more than once. If you successfully complete it and are confident in your mastery of the course material you are likely ready to write the general level one licensing exam.
3. Register for your exam by contacting the Insurance Institute of New Brunswick.
4. Once you've passed our licensing exam, submit the letter confirming your passing grade, together with your completed licence application to the Financial and Consumer Services Commission of New Brunswick for approval via their self-service portal. *Note: Your exam result is good for three months. If you do not apply for your license within that time, it will be necessary to write the exam again.
Unsuccessful in passing your licensing exam? One re-write is allowed and if unsuccessful, we ask that you wait six (6) months until you can write again. Use this time to take another look at your study materials and our online tutorial, designed to provide valuable insight into the course and the exam. It's available in both official languages.