Insurance Licensing in Manitoba
Give yourself the best chance of success in your licensing exam.
The Insurance Institute is a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, and we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
The Insurance Institute of Manitoba provides everything you need to get your Manitoba General Insurance level One Licence - including the study materials, course and the exam.
How do we help you get ready for licensing?
Watch our short video to find out.
Top reasons to choose our licensing course materials and exam:
• Tailored content. The content for this course has been specially selected to meet the direct knowledge requirements for general insurance level one agents and brokers in Manitoba.
Ready to get started now?
• Practical knowledge. You will be able to use the knowledge from our course to be highly successful in a brokerage/agency setting, which will enable you to build a solid foundation for a great career.
• Online tutorial with practice quizzes. Every part of this licensing course is designed to prepare you for success on your licensing exam.
• Brand-new, relevant exam. The study materials you receive are closely aligned to our accompanying exam, which you'll also take through the Insurance Institute of Manitoba as part of this course.
• Flexible formats. We know you’re busy, so we are pleased to offer our licensing course in two different learning formats to suit your needs.
• Membership is included. The cost of our course includes membership with the Insurance Institute of Manitoba, your trusted local resource for insurance education and professional development.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed our licensing exam and received the provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
ABOUT OUR LICENSING COURSE
The cost of our course is competitive, and includes:
1. The materials designed to help you pass your exam:
• Course texts (General Insurance Essentials: Part 1, General Insurance Essentials: Part 2
• Online tutorial with practice quizzes, a discussion forum, resource links, and a glossary of key terms.
For more information, download our Manitoba General level One Licensing Course Outline.
2. The exam itself, which you will sit through the Insurance Institute of Manitoba.
Please note that should you need to re-write your exam, there will be an additional fee charged.
3. Membership with the Insurance Institute of Manitoba for the remainder of the current membership year.
Membership provides you with access to our designations that are recognized by insurance industry employers, as well as local professional development and networking opportunities. As a member, you are making an investment in your career and the p&c insurance profession. Learn more about the benefits of membership.
What are the learning formats offered for this course?
• Self-study kit – if you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for our licensing exam. Purchase our self-study kit.
• In-class courses – if you prefer to learn in a traditional classroom environment, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are incorporated into a live, in-class environment for those who want to meet their peers, network and learn. Register for an in-class course.
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the insurance industry and the regulation of insurance, including the role and benefit of insurance to society and the roles of brokers, insurers, reinsurers, underwriters, adjusters, regulators, and industry associations.
• Distinguish insurance needs for a broad spectrum of personal and commercial customers and choose the most appropriate property, liability, and automobile insurance products, coverages, and policy structure, including applicable endorsements, to meet clients’ insurance needs.
Who should take this course?
This course is right for you if you are new to the insurance industry. There are no prerequisites to register in the Insurance Institute of Manitoba's General Insurance Level One licensing course.
Credit towards the CIP program
• Once you've passed your licensing exam and received your provincial license, you will be eligible for credit towards our highly-regarded Chartered Insurance Professional designation program. You'll get credit for C11: Principles and Practice of Insurance, the first course in the program - meaning you'll be one course closer to becoming a CIP. Learn more about this transfer credit.
STEPS TO BECOME A GENERAL AGENT IN MANITOBA
1. Study and ensure you know the course material - whether you decide to purchase the self-study kit or attend an in-class course. If you purchase the self-study kit, please be aware that it is a self-directed course that requires you to learn at your own pace using the provided study materials and online resources. A tutor is available on the online tutorial to answer questions and/or concerns about course material. If you prefer extra learning support, please check with us for information about in-class course offerings.
2. Complete the practice quizzes on the online tutorial. If you successfully complete the quizzes and are confident in your mastery of the course material you are likely ready to write the general level one licensing exam.
3. Register for your exam with the Insurance Institute of Manitoba.
4. Once you've passed our licensing exam, submit the letter confirming your passing grade, together with your completed licence application to the Manitoba Insurance Council for approval.
5. Congratulations on becoming a General Level One Agent/Broker in Manitoba! If your goal is to maximize your potential in both your education and career, the Insurance Institute of Manitoba is here to assist you. Learn more.
Get started now.