FCIP courses are offered in English and in French subject to demand. All courses involve significant weekly reading and writing requirements, and all candidates must make a face-to-face presentation at the end of the capstone course.
To study successfully in the FCIP program, you will need the following language skills:
• The ability to read and critically assess text pitched at an upper-year university level
• The ability to express yourself well in writing, with few errors in grammar or spelling
• The ability to deliver a spoken presentation clearly in the language of your course
For FCIP studies in French: Due to the nature and source of the study materials, many course readings are available only in English. Candidates taking a course conducted in French will also need to be able to read material written in English.
Before registering for the Financial Management for Insurance Leaders course, you must pass an online test to assess your math skills.
• This test is based on math skills ordinarily acquired in high school. Because these skills will be essential to your success, you will need to pass the test before registering for the course.
• There is no fee to take the test and you may retake it as needed. You are responsible for allowing sufficient time to improve your skills and retake the test if necessary.
• Once you have passed the assessment test, you have one year to register in the Financial Management course.
• Download a sample test (PDF, 75 KB) if you’d like to see examples of the types of questions asked on the real test.
• If you’ve already begun the FCIP Program, you can try the real test at any time by logging in to the FCIP e-learning site and choosing Math Skills Assessment.
• If you want to sharpen your math skills, you may take a free online FCIP Math Refresher Course. This ungraded course is optional, but completing it can help you improve your skills, particularly if you practise using the questions provided. The course is available on the e-learning site to admitted FCIP candidates. Following the refresher course, you will still need to pass the Math Skills Assessment to gain admission to the Financial Management course.