C40: Business Interruption Insurance

This course is not available for registration at this time. Please see the Key Dates on the Program Courses page for further information.

Please note that the final examination for this course is a computer-based exam.

Business Interruption Insurance is an important course for the underwriter, agency or brokerage sales professional, or adjuster who anticipates concentrating on commercial property insurance. The introduction to business interruption insurance describes the benefits of this type of insurance to businesses. You will study IBC's Business Income forms in detail and learn about settling losses under and choosing limits for these forms. You will also learn about the Gross Earnings and Profits forms that have prevailed in the Canadian market.

Note: Business interruption is related to property insurance, so we recommend you take C12: Insurance on Property first.

Course Outline

  • Introduction to Business Interruption Insurance
  • Business Income: The Limited Forms
  • Business Income: The Extended Forms
  • The Business Income Forms: Sum Insured; Loss Settlement
  • The Gross Earnings and Profits Forms
  • Rental Income
  • Extra Expense Insurance
  • Miscellaneous Business Interruption Forms
  • Non-traditional Exposures in Business Interruption Insurance

Who Should Register

All insurance courses offered by The Insurance Institute are designed for individuals who want to attain a highly recognized and respected professional designation in the p&c industry. The professional designation Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) is recognized across Canada and elsewhere around the world as the benchmark of insurance professionalism.

Business Interruption Insurance is for industry professionals, including brokers and agents, underwriters and adjusters, who want a comprehensive p&c education and the skills and knowledge required to advance their careers.