CIP Program Courses
Below is the list of Mandatory, Applied Professional and Elective CIP courses we offer.
• Click on a course name to see the classes, locations and delivery method options available to you at this time.
• In-class options are offered by your local institute or chapter.
• Virtual classes can either be offered by your local institute or chapter, or by the Insurance Institue of Canada. Please note that you can take a virtual class offered by any local institute or chapter, but please be aware of provincial time differences.
• Distance learning/independent study courses are also offered by the Insurance Institue of Canada.
• Need help deciding which courses and order is right for you? Take a look at the CIP & Your Career page. Also, please don't hesitate to contact either our Member Services team or your local institute or chapter for advice on your next educational steps. We're here to help you achieve your career goals.
You may be entitled to CIP course credits for prior insurance education such as CAIB, broker licensing, our Risk Management Certificate program, and more. Learn more.
Currently, the majority of exams are paper-based. Computer-based exams (CBE) for Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) and General Insurance Essentials (GIE) courses are being introduced gradually over a two-year period, starting from December 2015. Students are responsible for knowing when their courses will be offered in a computer-based format. Learn more about computer-based exams and see full schedule of CBE offerings in each course.
Virtual Class Access
Students who are enrolled in a virtual course can access their class via our e-learning site.
Five (5) courses required.
Credit transfers may be available for C11 if you have prior insurance education. Learn more.
Three (3) courses required.
Credit transfers may be available if you have prior insurance education. Learn more.
Two (2) courses required.
Credit transfers may be available for electives if you have prior insurance education. Learn more.
Have a question about the CIP program?
Ask the Institute - whether it's about courses, exams, student life & careers or more, you'll find the answers to the questions our students ask the most. We're here to help you make the most of your studies and your career in insurance.