Virtual proctoring works by taking your exam using your own computer or laptop in a private location like your home. A live proctor monitors you taking your exam through your webcam and microphone. They will also help you troubleshoot any technical issues if necessary. Your entire exam session will be recorded, and any unusual behaviour will be flagged. You are expected to abide by the Requirements and Rules for Writing an Examination when taking a Virtually proctored exam.
Before your exam day, you will have the opportunity to test your computer to ensure it meets the necessary specifications. You will also need to download and install ProctorU's Guardian Browser before exam day and some additional software during the exam set up process on exam day. Downloading the Guardian Browser takes 1-2 minutes. Please make sure that the laptop you are using allows for the download and installation of software. Only Windows and Mac Operating Systems are supported. IIC highly recommends that you use a personal computer or laptop that allows you to download and install software.
On exam day, you will need to go through a series of steps to set up your computer for Virtual proctoring. You will be required to download and install a small chat application to complete the connection to your proctor and to grant the proctor access to your webcam and microphone.
The Insurance Institute of Canada has an agreement with the third-party proctoring service provider regarding protecting the privacy of the recordings, and other personal information. Read their Terms of Service here.
To write your virtually proctored exam, you will need:
Personal laptop or computer with the ability to download software (mobile devices, Chromebooks or tablets, Inactive Versions of Windows and Test Builds/Test Mode are not supported). Check What Operating Systems/Devices Are Supported?
Microphone and webcam (headset microphones are not permitted).
An internet connection with at least 1Mbps upload & 1.5Mbps download speed. Test your speed here
Use the best internet connection possible. A connection failure or interruption can interfere with or even end your exam session. Take these steps to avoid disconnection:
• Use a wired internet connection rather than WiFi.
• If using WiFi, tell other household members to not use the internet during your exam. Place the desk and computer/laptop you will use during the exam as close to the router as possible.
• Disconnect any VPNs if you have them; ProctorU virtual proctoring service does not work with VPN connections.
Click the links to read more information about Equipment Requirements & Troubleshooting and Virtual Proctoring.
1. Download the Guardian Browser. You will take your exam using the Guardian Browser (and not the ProctorU extension). Read the printable PDF IIC Guardian Browser Student Guide for step-by-step instructions to download the Guardian Browser before exam day and how to use it on exam day. On exam day, you will also be required to install a small application to complete your connection to your proctor.
2. Log in to the IIC Exam Portal using your Member ID and password. Click “Test It out” at the bottom of the page to test your equipment. If you did not install the Guardian Browser in advance, you will be asked to install it before testing your equipment. Make sure your webcam and microphone are set to the camera and microphone you plan to use for your exam session. Note that you cannot use a headset during the exam. We encourage you to test your system well in advance of your exam and again within 4 hours of your exam start time.
3. Prepare the room where you will take your exam. Watch the Candidate Experience Video for more information.
You do not need a ProctorU account or the ProctorU extension to take your IIC exam.
To access your exam, you will need:
IIC Member ID and Password to log in to the IIC Exam Portal
Name of the exam you are writing
Original, valid (not expired) government-issued photo ID
The Guardian Browser already downloaded
10 minutes before your scheduled exam start time, log in to the IIC Exam Portal and click “Launch exam” when the countdown timer reaches 0:00:00. The Guardian Browser that you previously downloaded and installed will open so you can access your exam.
Watch the Test-Taker Experience video and read more information about Exam Day (What to expect). Remember, do not create a ProctorU account.
We strongly recommend you use a personal computer/laptop to take your exam. You must be able to download and install ProctorU’s Guardian Browser and a LogMeIn chat application. Work computers/laptops are often incompatible with ProctorU’s systems and prevent software downloading and installation due to firewalls, security features, updates, etc.
If you must use a work computer/laptop, below are some additional configuration recommendations to reduce the risk of technical issues.
• Disable any applicable browser or internet firewall settings.
• Make sure that you are not connected to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and that desktop sharing or remote desktop applications are closed and disabled.
• Ensure that you are not using a web browser with proprietary security settings established by your company.
• Disable notifications (emails, meeting requests, etc.) on your email account before initiating the check-in process.
• Disable any applicable software designed to record or monitor your screen.
• Disable any content filters that may interfere with the launch of the exam.
• Ensure that you have the appropriate user rights on your computer that are needed to download and install applications.
• Use the latest instructions to download and install the Guardian Browser.
• Check the Guardian Browser Client Port/Protocol and Allow List Information.
Before exam day, we strongly recommend that you contact your organization’s IT support representative to ensure the changes have been made.
Note that passing the ProctorU system check and completing all the steps above does not guarantee that your work computer/laptop will successfully download the Guardian Browser and/or the LogMeIn chat application on exam day. Additionally, successfully downloading the Guardian Browser and/or the LogMeIn chat application in advance of exam day does not guarantee that the exam will successfully launch. Using a work computer/laptop is at your own risk and there may be a fee to reschedule if your exam fails to launch successfully.
Before connecting to a proctor, contact ProctorU technical support by clicking the Support Chat icon in the top left of the Guardian Browser. Alternatively, you can contact ProctorU by phone at 1-855-772-8678, Option 1 or click the blue chat icon in the bottom right hand corner of this page to connect with ProctorU Support.
Once you’ve started your exam setup process, you will have access to ProctorU’s proctors. The proctors should be your first point of contact if technical issues occur during the exam. Contact your proctor by speaking aloud or typing a message in the Proctor chat box. If the box is closed, click on the Owl icon in your taskbar or dock to re-open it.
Please be patient as connecting to a proctor can take several minutes. Don’t worry about the wait – your exam timer will not start until you complete the setup steps and start the exam yourself.
On exam day, contact IIC Member Services if have contacted ProctorU technical support and they are unable to help you when you:
• lose internet connection during the setup process and your session time expires
• have technical issues or are unable to complete the setup process
Member Services: 1-866-362-8585 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST
IIC will have limited support capability available for test takers on weekends and holidays.