Virtual proctoring works by a live virtual proctor observing you taking your exam through your webcam. They will also help you troubleshoot any technical issues if necessary. Your entire session will be recorded, and any unusual behaviour will be flagged. You are expected to abide by all the examination rules and regulations during the examination.
Before your exam day, you will have the opportunity to test your computer to ensure it meets the necessary specifications. You will need to install some software and ensure you have the appropriate browser. Some work or personal laptops, such as Chromebooks, do not allow the installation of software so it is highly recommended that you have a machine that allows you to download software to avoid any surprises on exam day.
On the day of the exam, you will need to go through a series of steps to set up your computer for virtual proctoring. You will be required to download and install proctoring system applications and to grant the proctor access to your webcam and microphone.
The Insurance Institute of Canada has an agreement with the third-party proctoring service provider regarding protecting the privacy of the recordings, and other personal information.
Join us for a live webinar on one of the following dates. It will include a demonstration and question and answer session on virtual proctoring.
Register for October 27 - 11am EST
Register for October 29 - 1pm EST
Register for November 24 - 1pm EST
Register for November 26 - 11am EST
If you are not able to make a live session, be sure to book anyway to receive a recording of the event.
You should schedule your virtually proctored exam immediately after registration. Exam sittings start at various times during the day, 7 days a week, subject to proctor availability. The booking time is a 24-hour clock, so ensure you select the correct time you intend to write at. For instance, if you want to write at 2 pm, select 1400 hrs. Seats are booked on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Once you receive your booking e-mail, click here to schedule your exam.
Select the exam you want to book. Select Remote Proctoring and book a date and time that works for you. Once you’ve booked your exam, you will receive an “Exam Booking Confirmation” email. Make sure to save this email.
How to book your virtually proctored exam
To write the exam in a virtually proctored environment, you will need:
Personal laptop or computer with an ability to download software (no mobile devices, Chromebooks or tablets)
Microphone and camera (headset mics are not permitted)
An internet connection with at least 1Mbps upload & 1.5Mbps download speed. Test your speed here
Use the best internet connection possible. A connection failure or interruption can interfere with or even end your exam session. Take these steps to avoid disconnection:
• Use a wired internet connection rather than WiFi, if possible.
• If using WiFi, ask that other household members do not use the internet during your exam.
• Disconnect any VPNs if you have them; ProctorU does not work well with VPNs.
Verify that you can:
Download and install a ProctorU browser extension: either Chrome or Firefox.
Test Your Equipment - Please login to book your exam and find the test link at the bottom of the page. You are required to book your exam before you test your equipment. Make sure your camera and microphone are set to the camera and microphone you plan to use for the session. Note, that you cannot use a headset, earplugs and/or any noise cancelling device during the exam.
Watch the video for help on testing your equipment for virtual proctoring using Chrome:
How to test your equipment for virtual proctoring using FireFox:
IMPORTANT: If you do not have a personal computer or a laptop and cannot obtain one, you may be eligible to write an Online Timed exam. Please click here for more information.
Watch the video and learn how to connect to your virtual proctor using Chrome
Watch the video and learn how to connect to your virtual proctor using FireFox
Download the Step-by-Step Guide to Taking your Exam
When you click the Launch Exam button, you are not yet starting your exam, you are setting up the proctoring service. Take your time and follow the instructions on your screen. You will not run out of time and your setup time is not linked to your exam time. On average it takes 5 to 15 minutes to connect to a proctor, but it may take as much as 45 minutes during busy times. Please be patient and do not refresh your screen.
Remember, your exam does not start until after you have connected to a proctor and started your exam yourself.
To make sure that you have a smooth and stress-free exam experience:
• Give yourself a minimum of four hours from start to finish as it may take some time to set-up and connect to a proctor
• Shut down all programs and restart your computer before you launch your exam and start the setup process
• If you need to, make sure you go to the bathroom before you start your exam
• Make sure you remove all books, papers and recording devices from your room
• Check that your lighting is good and that you have minimized distractions
• Remove any hats or headgear, unless there is a religious requirement
• Connect to the internet via a wired connection (i.e. Ethernet connection), if possible. Wifi connections generally carry a higher risk of disruption, so if you do not have strong wifi connectivity, consider wired connection
We recommend you use a personal computer to take the exam. If you must use a work computer, below are some additional configuration recommendations to reduce the risk of technical issues. You may also need to contact your organization’s IT support representative in advance of your exam day to make some of these changes.
• Disable any applicable browser or internet firewall settings.
• Make sure that you are not connected to a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
• Ensure that you are not using a web browser with proprietary security settings established by your company.
• Disable notifications (emails, meeting requests, etc.) on your email account before initiating the check-in process.
• Disable any applicable software designed to record or monitor your screen.
• Disable any content filters that may interfere with the launch of the exam.
• Ensure that you have the appropriate user rights on your computer that are needed to download and install applications
Once you’ve started your exam setup process, you will have access to ProctorU’s live technicians. The live technicians should be your first point of contact if technical issues occur. To access ProctorU’s technicians, click on the owl icon at the top right of your screen and click ‘help’. You will be directed to fill out an online form and will be connected to a technician. Please be patient as this can take several minutes. Don’t worry about the wait, your exam will not start until you complete the setup steps and start the exam yourself.
If you lose internet connection during the connection process and your session time expires, please contact IIC Member Services. We will try to reschedule your exam in the current session
If you have technical issues or are unable to complete the setup process, contact Member Services and we will reschedule you.
Member Services: 1-866-362-8585 or email@example.com
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST