Examination Rules & Regulations
Examinations are conducted for those students who have received instruction through in-class programs, distance learning, virtual learning, or continued tuition prior to the examination date. Examinations must be written during the semester in which the student receives instruction.
Examinations will be held in April, July and December each year for all students in the CIP Program.
Candidates’ Regulations and Timetable
Student examination timetables, outlining the date and location of the exam, will be available two weeks before the final examination and accessible on the website under "My Current Courses." Please note that exam centre location information is subject to change up to two weeks prior to the exam.
At the Examination Centre
1. Candidates will be permitted to sit examinations only in subjects for which the candidates have registered with The Insurance Institute of Canada and at the date and time scheduled.
2. Candidates may attempt only one examination per course, per session. Candidates may potentially schedule two exams on the same day at the same exam centre—one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
3. Candidates must have their Institute account sign-on information (Member ID and password) to access the exam.
4. Candidates who arrive after the starting time of the examination shall be allowed to sit for the unexpired time only, but no candidate may enter the examination room after one half-hour has elapsed from the starting time of the examination.
5. Candidates may not withdraw from the examination room until one half-hour has elapsed from the starting time of the examination.
6. Candidates may only leave the examination room if accompanied by a Proctor or after their attempts at answering have been completed and their exam has been submitted.
7. The following are prohibited from use during the exam and prohibited in the examination room, washrooms, and any accessible area during an examination: course texts; dictionaries; books; notes; papers; translation books, devices, or information; recording devices; cameras; cell phones, smartphones, or telephones of any type; personal digital assistants; MP3 players; Blackberrys; iPods; pagers; cellular equipment; iPads or other tablets; Bluetooth or other reception/transmission devices; smartwatches (Apple, Samsung, or any make or model); Google eyeglasses or similar devices; any other electronic device, other form of information, or any other matter whatsoever unless authorized by the Insurance Institute. Candidates may not take photos or make copies, images, or recordings of the examination or computer screens before, during, or after the examination at the examination centre.
8. Candidates will not be permitted to use paper or calculators other than the CBE functions. CBEs include a section where students can type their notes and access an online calculator during the exam.
9. Communication of any kind between candidates, or with anyone other than authorized personnel, during the examination is prohibited.
10. Candidates may not use or have in their possession or vicinity any unauthorized or illegitimate materials or information, nor make any attempt to obtain such, during the examination. Candidates may not provide any information about an examination that they have written to another candidate who is about to write the same examination during the same exam session. Candidates may not hide or place, or arrange to have hidden or placed, any unauthorized or illicit material that may be accessed by themselves or others during an examination.
11. Candidates must read and agree to the Examinations Rules and Regulations Agreement before starting the examination.
12. Any breach of regulations will result in disqualification and the candidate will not be permitted to register for examinations in any of the next following nine examination sessions. The circumstances will be referred to the candidate’s local institute for disciplinary action additional to the automatic and minimum suspension of registration privileges mentioned herein. Any subsequent breach of regulations will result in permanent disqualification from all examinations of the Institute.
13. Food, snacks, and beverages may not be consumed by or be in the vicinity of candidates during an examination.
14. Candidates who require food, water, or medication in the examination room for medical reasons must submit a request in advance pursuant to the Special Needs Policy.
15. Candidates must arrive in the examination room 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
16. Candidates must bring government-authorized photo identification (driver’s licence, health card, passport) for identity verification to take their exam. Candidates without valid government-authorized identification will be required to reschedule their exam to another date and time, if space permits.
17. Candidates must not begin their examinations until advised to do so by the Proctor.
18. Candidates are responsible to ensure they receive the correct examination.
19. Candidates will cease typing when time has expired.
20. No persons other than the Proctor and candidates eligible to take the examination shall be present during the session.
21. Candidates must be members in good standing of a local institute (that is, membership is paid in full).