Examination Rules & Regulations
Examinations are conducted for those students who have received instruction through in-class programs, distance learning/independent study, virtual learning, or continued tuition prior to the examination date. Examinations must be written during the semester in which the student receives instruction.
Examinations will be held in April, July and December each year.
Students Regulations and Timetable
Upon registration for an examination, a booking confirmation containing the exam date, time, and location as well as other important information pertaining to the scheduled examination will be emailed to students. The automated date reserves a spot to write the exam. In addition, Student examination timetables, outlining the date and location of the exam, will be available two weeks before the final examination and accessible on the website under "My Current Courses." Please note that exam centre location information is subject to change up to two weeks prior to the exam.
At the Examination Centre
1. Students will be permitted to sit examinations only in subjects for which they have registered with The Insurance Institute of Canada and at the date and time scheduled.
2. Students may attempt only one examination per course, per session.
3. Students may schedule two exams on the same day at the same exam centre for different courses—one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
4. Students must have their Institute account sign-on information (Member ID and password) to access the exam.
5. Students who arrive after the starting time of the examination shall be allowed to sit for the unexpired time only, but no student may enter the examination room after one half-hour has elapsed from the starting time of the examination.
6. Students may not withdraw from the examination room until one half-hour has elapsed from the starting time of the examination.
7. Students may only leave the examination room if accompanied by a proctor or after their attempts at answering have been completed and their exam has been submitted.
8. The following are prohibited from use during the exam and prohibited in the examination room, washrooms, and any accessible area during an examination: course texts; dictionaries; books; notes; papers; calculators; translation books, devices, or information; recording devices; cameras; cell phones, smartphones, or telephones of any type; personal digital assistants; MP3 players; Blackberrys; iPods; pagers; cellular equipment; iPads or other tablets; Bluetooth or other reception/transmission devices; smartwatches (Apple, Samsung, or any make or model); Google eyeglasses or similar devices; any other electronic device, other form of information, or any other matter whatsoever unless authorized by the Insurance Institute. Students may not take photos or make copies, images, or recordings of the examination or computer screens before, during, or after the examination at the examination centre.
9. Students will not be permitted to use any tools other than those provided within the exam interface. The exam interface includes a section where students can type their notes and access an online calculator during the exam.
10. Communication of any kind between students, or with anyone other than authorized personnel, during the examination is prohibited.
11. Students may not use or have in their possession or vicinity any unauthorized or illegitimate materials or information nor make any attempt to obtain or provide such during the examination. Students may not provide any information about an examination that they are taking or that they have taken to anyone. Students may not hide or place, or arrange to have hidden or placed, any unauthorized or illicit material that may be accessed by themselves or others during an examination.
12. Students must read and agree to the Examination Rules and Regulations Agreement before starting the examination.
13. Any breach of the preceding regulations will result in disqualification and the student will not be permitted to register for examinations in any of the next following nine examination sessions. The circumstances will be referred to the student’s local institute for disciplinary action additional to the automatic and minimum suspension of registration privileges mentioned herein. Any subsequent breach of the regulations will result in permanent disqualification from all examinations of this Institute.
14. Food, snacks, and beverages (including water) may not be consumed by or be in the vicinity of students during an examination.
15. Students who require food, water, or medication in the examination room for medical reasons must submit a request in advance pursuant to the Accommodation policy.
16. Students must arrive in the examination room 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
17. Students must bring government-authorized photo identification (passport, Canadian driver’s licence, Canadian health card) for identity verification to take their exam. Students without valid government-authorized photo identification will be required to reschedule their exam to another date and time, if space permits.
18. Students must not begin their examinations until advised to do so by the proctor.
19. Students are responsible for ensuring they receive the correct examination.
20. Students will cease typing when time has expired.
21. No persons other than the proctors and students eligible to take the examination shall be present during the exam session.
22. Students must be members in good standing of a local institute (membership paid in full).