These questions apply to all examination candidates
1. What information and documents do I need on exam day?
Your IIC member ID and password to log into IIC's exam portal
Valid government issued photo ID, such as a passport or Canadian driver's licence
Any current government-issued photo ID is acceptable, such as a passport or Canadian driver's licence. The name on your ID must be the same as the name on your IIC member account.
2. Can I take a break during my virtually proctored exams?
Food and drinks are not allowed in the vicinity of the exam. You are allowed one brief break during the virtually proctored exam to go to the washroom or to have food or a drink. The exam timer does not stop. You must inform the proctor either verbally or through the chat box if you wish to take a break and do the same upon return. When you return, the proctor will ask you to redo the scan of the room using your webcam, including the front of your computer screen, so make sure you have a mirror close by.
You cannot access any unauthorized or prohibited items and/or materials while on your break and this includes your cell phone, camera, internet, textbooks, course notes, etc. This would be considered a breach of the Examination Rules and Regulations.
3. Do I need a ProctorU account to write my exam, complete the system checks or to access technical assistance?
You do NOT need to set up a ProctorU account to write your exam, to access the system checks, or ProctorU technical support
4. Can I take my exam on a tablet?
Tablets such as iPads, Chromebooks or other Android tablets are not supported. You can only write your exam using a laptop or personal computer.
5. Do exams have to be written during business hours?
Exam sittings are offered 24/7, however spots can fill up based on proctor availability. You should book early to ensure you get the date and time of your choosing.
6. I can't remember my username or password. What should I do?
Call Member Services immediately at 1-866-362-8585 for assistance.
7. Will I receive confirmation of the date/time I select for my exam appointment?
Yes, an automated exam confirmation is sent after you submit your booking. You can also view your exam details at any time in IIC’s exam portal.
8. Will I be sent a reminder email closer to the exam period?
Yes, a reminder email will be sent approximately a week before the exam session starts.
9. Are accommodation requests still being accepted for virtually proctored exams?
Yes. For more information, please visit the 'Student Accommodation' page.
10. I don’t meet the system requirements to write my exam. What are my options?
If you do not meet the system requirements, or cannot access a suitable computer, you may be eligible to write an Online Timed exam. Please click here for more information.
11. What is considered a breach of exam rules and regulations in a virtually proctored environment?
Before you start your exam, your desk and exam area must be clear from any prohibited materials such as cell phones, books, headphones, notes, food or drinks. For a list of prohibited items, please refer to the Examination Rules & Regulations page.
Once you start your exam you will be monitored and recorded, and the Artificial Intelligence (AI) system will flag any potential breaches. The following are considered breaches of examination rules and regulations and may result in the disqualification of your exam and suspension of examination privileges:
• Repeatedly looking off screen
• Interacting with another person
• Another person entering the exam room
• Taking phone calls
• Using your phone or a tablet device during the exam
• Using other applications on your computer
• Excessive noise in your environment, or playing music
• Leaving your exam area without permission from the proctor
• Recording exam questions in any way
You must comply with any instructions given to you by the proctor. Failure to comply will result in disqualification from the exam and suspension of your examination privileges.
12. What happens if I log in late?
If you log in more than 30 minutes past the exam start time, you will not be able to launch the exam. You will be marked absent. Review our Deferrals & Absence webpage.
13. How long do the system and security checks take?
The system check should take about 10-15 minutes. The live proctor will then connect with you to complete the security checks.
14. How long does it take to connect with a proctor?
It is normal to wait up to 20 minutes for the proctor to join you, but you could wait up to 45 minutes during peak periods (regular business hours).
Remember, you will not lose exam time during this process.
15. If I experience a technical issue before connecting with the proctor, who should I contact?
Contact ProctorU first by live chat. Alternatively, you can contact ProctorU by phone at 1-855-772-8678, Option 1.
Note: during peak periods, it can take 15-20 minutes to connect to a ProctorU technical support member.
16. Can I stop the exam after the proctor has released it to me and the timer has started?
No, the exam timer cannot be paused once started. You are not permitted to leave your computer or the room once you begin writing your exam.
17. Can I go back through my exam to review and change an answer(s) if necessary, before I submit my exam.
Yes, you can review your answers as long as you have not submitted your exam.
18. Can I take notes during the examination?
Note paper is not permitted. An online notepad is available in the exam platform.
These questions apply to all examination candidates.
1. Is the proctor live or is the exam proctored using an application?
A live proctor is assigned to you and will monitor you throughout your exam session. Proctors work on shifts, so you may notice that a different proctor takes over during your exam.
2. How am I monitored during the exam?
Your entire exam session is recorded using your computer microphone and camera. The live proctor and proctoring system software will monitor your behavior and activity during the session.
3. Will I be able to see my proctor, and will my proctor be able to see me?
Your proctor can see you, but you cannot see your proctor. You are however able to communicate with your proctor throughout the exam via your computer audio or live chat.
4. What is the proctor assigned to me responsible for?
To verify your identity by comparing you to the photo in your government-issued photo id
Confirm the name of the examination you will be taking
Review and explain the exam rules and regulations with you
Ensure there are no study resources and materials in your room
Lock down certain settings on your computer
Troubleshoot and solve technical issues as needed
Release the exam to you
Monitor you throughout the session
Investigate, note, and warn you if unpermitted behaviour is detected
Verify your exam is submitted successfully
Assist you to exit the exam platform
5. What languages do the virtual proctors speak?
Proctoring services are currently only available in English.
6. If I need support in French before or during my exam who should I contact?
Before your exam, please contact Member Services so that we can walk you through the process and system requirements.
During your exam, please try to contact ProctorU Support though the chat first. If this does not work, please contact Member Services immediately.
7. How does the proctor secure the room I am writing my exam in?
The proctor will instruct you to show the walls, floor and ceiling of the room and your work surface using your computer camera. They will also ask you to use a mirror or a cellphone camera to show the front of your computer or laptop. As part of the scan, you will be asked to remove study materials and other resources. The proctor will also monitor you and your screen activity using your computer camera and microphone during the entire exam.
8. How does the proctor know that it’s me taking an exam and not someone else?
You will be asked to display valid government-issued photo identification. The system will take a photo of your ID and a photo of your face using your computer's camera. The proctor will compare your face to the photo on your ID and ensure that the name on your exam booking matches the name on your ID.
9. I’m not comfortable with someone taking control of my computer and storing my information? How is my privacy protected?
10. What happens if the proctor suspects misconduct?
If suspicious activity is identified, the proctor will intervene and the proctor will issue an incident report to the Institute for appropriate action, as per the Examination Rules and Regulations.
11. If I have a question during my exam, am I allowed to ask the proctor?
The proctor is available throughout the exam via live chat or computer audio to answer technical questions and assist with technical issues. The proctor is not able to answer questions or provide clarification regarding the content of your exam.
12. How do I get help if I have a technical problem before writing my exam?
First, contact your proctor by clicking on the ProctorU owl at the top of your browser, or by clicking the Help link in the browser ribbon. The proctor is available to assist throughout the exam.
If you lose connection to the site during your exam or if you have not connected with a proctor yet, contact ProctorU technical support immediately by phone: 1-855-772-8678, Option 1.
13. What do I do if I lose my connection while writing my exam?
If your session is interrupted but you still have your internet connection, log back in to the exam portal. Select Resume Exam and you will be redirected to ProctorU. You may be required to repeat the system setup and room security process.
If your internet connection fails or you experience equipment failure, contact ProctorU technical support immediately at 1-855-772-8678, Option 1.
If the issue cannot be resolved within 5 minutes, you will not be able to resume your exam.
14. If I lose connection while writing my exam and I cannot resume the exam, what are my options?
If you are unable to resume your exam, please contact Member Services immediately at 1- 866-362-8585 to be rescheduled within the same exam session. You will be prompted to select a new date & time, subject to availability.
15. What happens if there is a fire alarm or similar incident while I am taking an exam?
First, take all necessary measures to protect your own safety and the safety of others. Once safe, contact your proctor if you are still connected. If you are no longer connected with the site, you may need to book another appointment. Contact Member Services immediately at 1- 866-362-8585.
1. Can I reschedule my exam booking?
Yes, you can reschedule your exam booking up to 24 hours before your start time by logging in to the exam portal. Then click on ‘Exam Details’ then ‘Change my Exam Booking’.
There is no cost if you reschedule your booking by this deadline. Note that the original booking is immediately withdrawn when you choose to reschedule.
2. Is there a fee to reschedule my exam less than 24 hours before my scheduled time?
A $100 rescheduling fee may apply. You must supply supporting documentation to reschedule your exam less than 24 hours prior to your appointment (i.e. letter from employer, medical note, etc.). Note, availability of sittings may also be limited.
3. What happens if I miss my online exam?
You will be marked absent and be required to retake the course (tuition and exam) again. Note that the course and exam fees are non-refundable. Please review our Examinations Absence and Deferrals policy.