The CIP Program. Learning for the Real World.
Recognized by the property and casualty insurance industry and the insurance-buying public across Canada and elsewhere around the world, the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation is the benchmark of insurance professionalism for individuals new to the insurance industry or those building an insurance career. The CIP Program provides a comprehensive, well-rounded learning experience that begins by concentrating on essential p&c knowledge.
Virtual Class Access
Students who are enrolled in a virtual course can now access their class via our e-learning site.
CIPs hold important positions within the Canadian insurance community. The knowledge and skills gained in the program bring value to their organizations, whether those are insurance companies, brokerages, independent adjusting firms or companies with risk managers. Here are just a few of the many reasons students choose the CIP Program:
• CIP Value - According to a recent report by the Conference Board of Canada, those who hold a CIP designation earn an average wage premium of about $8,000 more per year than their colleagues with a similar level of experience but without the designation. Learn more about why the industry continues to strongly support the CIP designation.
• The Highest National Standard – Every student is examined to the same standard by the same examiners, regardless of location. This uniform standard, unique to the Institute, means that employers and consumers are guaranteed all CIPs have met the same rigorous test of knowledge.
• International Recognition – The Insurance Institute’s programs are recognized throughout the globe, including the U.S. and the U.K. In many cases, designations earned from the Institute in Canada can count towards programs with other international institutes.
• Real-World Industry Knowledge – The CIP Program gives students a broad level of knowledge that allows them to fully understand their customers’ and organizations’ needs. The CIP Program has been developed with contributions from insurance industry professionals to reflect the skills and knowledge required in business today. The program includes key areas of insurance such as automobile, property, liability and specialty lines from both the personal and commercial perspectives. Relevant career-path material is integral to course- and program-design components.
• Career Choice Specialization – The CIP designation opens doors to virtually any career in insurance, and the program is designed with career flexibility in mind. The CIP Program also provides specific focus areas on the three primary career paths in the industry: broker and agent; underwriter; and loss adjuster. If you’re already on a specific career path, the CIP curriculum allows you to gain management-level education in your chosen role. If you want to keep your career options open, the program allows you to maintain a broader perspective by taking courses in all three Applied Professional series – see CIP & Your Career to learn more.
• Flexible Learning Options – The Insurance Institute offers a variety of study methods, including in-class, virtual and distance learning. Discover the many learning options.
Code of Ethics
An important part of setting the standard in insurance education is our Code of Ethics, which you’ll be expected to abide by when you graduate. The Code of Ethics is applicable to all elected Chartered Insurance Professionals (CIPs), Fellow Chartered Insurance Professionals (FCIPs), and Honorary Chartered Insurance Professionals (HCIPs), including all members eligible for election. View the Code of Ethics.
• Explore the many courses available through the CIP Program
• Did you know that you need to fulfill one year of full-time employment in the general insurance, life insurance, or related financial services industries in order to achieve your CIP designation? Find out more about what you need to become a CIP.
Download the CIP Program syllabus
If you are interested in furthering your career or learning more about the p&c industry, take a look at our complete range of insurance educational programs.
Have a question about the CIP program?
Ask the Institute - whether it's about courses, exams, student life & careers or more, you'll find the answers to the questions our students ask the most. We're here to help you make the most of your studies and your career in insurance.