Licensing in Northern Alberta
Give yourself the best chance of success in your licensing exam.
The Insurance Institute is a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, and we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
Licensing exams can be challenging—which is where we come in.
The Insurance Institute of Northern Alberta provides study resources to prepare you to take the exams for the Alberta General Licence or the Alberta Independent Adjuster Licence. We have proven success.
As a trusted source of education for the p&c industry in Canada, we want to ensure that new entrants to our industry are well-prepared.
On this page:
Top reasons to choose us
About our study resources
Flexible learning modes
New to the industry?
Top reasons to choose the Insurance Institute to help you prepare for your licensing exam:
• We have one of the leading pass rates for General Level One Licensing exams – as reported by the Alberta Insurance Council (AIC).
• Tailored content. The content for this course was developed based on the Alberta Insurance Council’s Curriculum Design Document, and meets the direct knowledge requirements for general insurance level one agents and brokers in Alberta.
• Practical knowledge. You will be able to use the knowledge from our course to be highly successful in a brokerage/agency setting, which will enable you to build a solid foundation for a great career.
• Online tutorial with practice exam questions. Every part of this licensing course supports you to prepare for your licensing exam - at your convenience.
• Flexible formats. We know you’re busy, so we are pleased to offer our licensing courses in different learning formats to suit your needs.
• Extended access to recorded virtual classes and instructional support for three months.
• Access to online tutorials for six months.
• Membership is included. The cost of our course includes membership with the Insurance Institute of Southern or Northern Alberta, your trusted local resource for insurance education and professional development.
• Credit towards the CIP Program. Once you've passed the licensing exam, you will be eligible for credit towards the highly-recognized CIP designation program.
• Bridge to Level Two. If you’ve used our Level One kit, you only need to get a top-up kit for Level Two – save yourself the expense of the complete Level Two kit.
Study resources to help you pass your Alberta licensing exams.
Our new, streamlined course materials for Broker/Agent licensing align with the Alberta Insurance Council’s new licensing exams for Level One and Level Two. It provides you with the curriculum you will need to prepare for the Alberta General (Broker/Agent) licensing exams, and includes practice exam questions to give you even more preparation for your exams.
• General (Broker/Agent) Licensing - Level 1
• General (Broker/Agent) Licensing - Level 2
• Independent Adjuster Licensing - All Levels
Learning modes offered
Learning modes explained
• Self-study kit
If you prefer independent study or if you need to be able to schedule studying to suit your busy professional and personal commitments, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are presented as a self-directed learning kit to help you prepare for the licensing exam.
• Virtual class
If you prefer a structured, live classroom environment but need to be able to do it from the location of your choice, this format is for you. Virtual classes are taught live by an experienced licensing instructor. They include instruction with PowerPoint presentations, interactive learning activities, discussions on emerging trends within the insurance industry, online quizzes and assignments, and a course review session.
If you prefer to learn in a traditional classroom environment, this format is perfect for you. Our course materials are incorporated into a live, in-class environment for those who want to meet their peers, network and learn. In-class instruction allows students to share ideas, gain insights and broaden their skills and knowledge in a classroom setting.
• Recorded virtual class with regular instructor check-ins
This format is perfect for those who like a hybrid learning environment with both the flexibility to learn at your own pace alongside regular, scheduled touch-points with an instructor. You can prepare for your licensing exams at your own pace with recorded virtual classes, which can be taken at the place and time of your choosing. You’ll supplement this with regular, scheduled check-ins with your instructor to answer questions and provide extra information.
New to the Industry?
Visit our "General Information for Newcomers" page for additional information on how licensing works in Alberta.
We wish you all the very best in your broker licensing exams and look forward to assisting you to prepare effectively.